Welcome to Adult Oral Health in the Institute of Dentistry at Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry.
The Centre is the academic home of the Clinical Restorative Dental Specialties (including Prosthodontics, Endodontics, Operative Dentistry and Periodontology) within the Institute of Dentistry. The Centre's broad range of activities include the responsibility for undergraduate and postgraduate education in these subjects, together with a range of research groupings and the provision of clinical restorative dental care in conjunction with the Restorative Unit within the Dental Teaching Hospital of Barts Health NHS Trust.
The Clinical Restorative Specialities
This area traditionally includes the parts of Dentistry, which concern the diseases of the dental hard tissues (teeth) and the restoration of teeth to their former shape and function as well as the replacement of missing teeth. This may be achieved by restorations (fillings), crowns (caps) and/or bridges (fixed partial dentures).
This is the branch of dental sciences dealing with health, injuries to and diseases of the pulp and periradicular region, and their relationship with systemic well-being and health. The pulp is the soft tissue, for example, blood vessels, nerves and connective tissue occupying the central core of a tooth. It is enclosed within the hard tissues of the tooth, namely, enamel, dentine and cementum. The periradicular (periapical) tissues surround the apical (root end) of a tooth, which is embedded in the jawbone. Disease can affect both the pulp and the periradicular tissues. Endodontology can help the clinician understand the disease, its sequelae, and facilitate diagnosis and management.
Periodontology is the study of diseases of the supporting tissues surrounding the teeth together with their clinical management. Plaque-induced chronic inflammatory periodontal disease is one of the most common and important conditions affecting the oral cavity and as such represents a major clinical speciality within dentistry.
Prosthodontics is that aspect of dentistry that deals with the replacement of missing teeth and an understanding of the biomaterials used in their construction. Biological and psychosocial aspects of this sphere of dentistry will be emphasised. This can be achieved with fixed and removable appliances that are supported on teeth, implants or the oral mucosa.
- Adult Oral Health provides core contributions to the BDS curriculum across the Clinical Restorative Specialities.
- Taught postgraduate courses and PhD Opportunities covering the area of Adult Oral Health are available. Postgraduate teaching includes MClinDents in Periodontology and Prosthodontics.
Research falls within the group Caries, Hard Tissues and Material Research.
Ms Lindsey Spicer
+44 20 7882 8656 (Tel)
+44 20 7377 7064 (Fax)
Centre for Adult Oral Health
Institute of Dentistry
Queen Mary's School of Medicine & Dentistry
London E1 2AD
- Dr Aylin Baysan - Clinical Senior Lecturer (Specialist Registrar)
- Dr Jason Berry - Lead for Dental Admissions, Lead for the Barkantine Outreach Facility
- Dr Michael Cattell - Senior Lecturer in Dental Technology
- Dr Dominiki Chatzopoulou - Clinical Senior Lecturer in Periodontology
- Professor B S Chong - Professor of Restorative Dentistry/Honorary Consultant, Endodontic Lead and Director, Postgraduate Endodontic Programmes
- Mr Chad Cluff - Tutor Dental Technologist
- Professor Elizabeth Davenport - Emeritus Professor
- Mr Patrick Donohoe - Part-time Clinical Lecturer
- Dr Tim Friel - Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Dr Ana Gamboa - NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer / Specialty Registrar in Periodontitcs
- Dr David Gillam - Clinical Senior Lecturer in Periodontology (Specialist in Periodontology)
- Dr Cecilia Gonzales-Marin - Clinical Lecturer in Periodontology
- Dr Tomasz Janicki - Clinical Lecturer
- Miss Bridgette Job - Administrator Years 1-2
- Dr Jennifer King - Senior Lecturer
- Dr Ginny Kingsmill - Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Dr Vasiliki Koukla - Clinical Lecturer
- Dr Anna Krajewski - Clinical lecturer in Periodontology (part-time)
- Dr D J Kramer - Part time Clinical Lecturer
- Dr Guy Lambourn - Clinical Senior Lecturer and Specialist in Prosthodontics
- Dr Nikos Mardas - Specialist in Periodontics, Senior Clinical Lecturer & Honorary Consultant
- Dr Hitesh Mody - Primary Care Tutor
- Dr Ioana-Ruxandra Moraru - Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Dr Ali Nankali - Clinical Lecturer in Adult Oral Health
- Mrs Swati Nehete - Clinical Lecturer(Hon.Clinical Assistant)
- Dr Jason Niggli - Clinical Senior Lecturer, Joint Senior Tutor
- Dr N Pandya - Clinical Lecturer
- Dr Mark Payne - Academic Clinical Research Fellow/Specialist Registrar in Restorative Dentistry
- Dr Maria Piana - Clinical Lecturer
- Dr Somit Prasad - Clinical lecturer in oral surgery
- Dr Amitha Ranauta - Senior Clinical Lecturer
- Dr Judi Rogers - Senior Clinical Lecturer
- Professor D Y D Samarawickrama - Emeritus Professor of Conservative Dentistry
- Dr Shakeel Shahdad - Consultant and Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer
- Ms Shameem Shariff - Dental Clinical Skills Laboratory Manager
- Dr S K Sidhu - Reader in Restorative Clinical Dental Materials (HCC)
- Ms Lindsey Spicer - Centre Manager
- Dr Phil Taylor -
- Mrs Jacqueline Trappitt - Secretary
- Mrs Jo Treadgold - Secretary
- Dr Wendy Turner - Centre Lead, Clinical Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant
- Dr Leonora Wolfe - Clinical Lecturer
- Professor Paul Wright - Emeritus Professor in Prosthetic Dentistry
- Dr Lifong Zou - Clinical Scientist